What Are Essential Oils?
Pure essential oils are highly potent, naturally occurring plant extracts that are used therapeutically to support and improve health and wellbeing.
Have you ever enjoyed smelling a rose? Do you remember the aromatic scent of jasmine? Or the fresh sharp smell of citrus? Plants and flowers have their own unique chemistry and fragrance, and this is where the most potent properties of the plant are found.
Essential oils can be extracted from many parts of the plant including the seeds, roots, bark, flowers, stems, leaves and fruits. They have been treasured for thousands of years and used in perfumes, beauty treatments and culinary delights. But ancient cultures have also known of their powerful healing properties, particularly their ability to promote health and aid relaxation.
So Pure Essential Oils:
- Are highly potent naturally occurring plant extracts
- Are found in all parts of the plant from seeds to flowers and bark
- Have been used for thousands of years to promote health & healing
QUESTION – Are you attracted to one type of fragrance over another? Which is your favourite: spice, citrus, grasses, flowers, mint or trees?
Why Use Essential Oils?
Essential oils have been used for thousands of years, with the earliest records dating back to over 3,500 years ago. They are an ancient art and a contemporary science, tried and tested by generations of scholars around the world. Technology has aided in these amazing oils being more readily accessible, and with recent advances in science, research and health studies, it’s reassuring to know that we now have tangible evidence of our neurochemistry and biological systems being triggered in specific ways by the essential oils, which then affects how our whole body relates to stressors.
Today, when you choose to explore essential oils, you are choosing plant extracts that have been carefully cultivated and nurtured by some of the worlds most experienced growers from around the world.
Harvesting and distilling essential oils is a highly skilled process and needs expert attention to ensure the optimum therapeutic benefits are transferred from the plant to the essential oil with consistent quality in every bottle. That’s why I choose doTerra.
So Essential Oils:
- Are an ancient science dating back 3500 years
- Are carefully harvested and distilled to retain the highest level of purity
- From plant to bottle, these naturally occurring pure plant extracts are of the highest quality.
QUESTION – do you use an essential oil and love it?
How to Use Essential Oils
Why do so many people love essential oils? Because they bring their amazing therapeutic properties to your everyday life!
Whether you want to sleep better, create calm, address a physical ailment or increase concentration, the world of aromatherapy can play a pivotal role in improving your mental, physical, emotional and spiritual well-being.
3 Ways to Enjoy Essential Oils:
- Aromatically – a sensory indulgence Essential oils can be diffused to create a soothing, stimulating or subtle effect on mood and health.
Did you know our olfactory (smell) receptors in our nose have direct links with the limbic system of our brain? This is the part that helps control emotional and behavioural responses to our environment and what we experience daily. It also helps form and retain memories whether pleasant or traumatic and perceive threats. This part of the brain is directly in control of your stress response.
Enter essential oils! They travel through your bloodstream and cross the blood brain barrier very quickly, providing support to alter your emotional state.
Smell bypasses the thinking part of our brain and the body is calmed before the brain even recognises there’s an issue. How clever is that?!
- Topically – applied to the body Dilute in a carrier oil and massage essential oils into the skin to enjoy the sensory indulgence of their soothing aroma and therapeutic properties. They’re also great to wear as a pure-fume!
Did you know Essential Oils are able to pass through skin and influence mental, physical or emotional symptoms within 30 seconds?
- Culinary – delicious oils to tantalise the tastebuds Essential oils that are traditionally used in cooking include lemon, wild orange, lime, peppermint, cinnamon, basil, rosemary, thyme, lemongrass and black pepper to name a few. Use these to develop your repertoire of natural recipes and enhance flavour, with the added benefit of promoting health and wellbeing.
QUESTION – how would you like to use essential oils in your everyday life?